The J.M. Smucker Company Issues Voluntary Recall of Specific Lots of 9Lives(R) Protein Plus(R) Wet, Canned Cat Food Due to Low Levels of Thiamine (Vitamin B1)
Source: FDA Food Recalls
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53PM
The J.M. Smucker Company today announced a voluntary recall of specific lots of 9Lives® Protein Plus® wet, canned cat food due to possible low levels of thiamine (Vitamin B1). No illnesses related to this issue have been reported to date and the product is being recalled out of an abundance of caution.
The impacted products are as follows:
|Product Name||UPC Code||Product Size||Best if Used By Date|
|9Lives® Protein Plus® With Tuna & Chicken||7910021549||4 pack of cans,|
5.5 oz each
|Mar. 27, 2020- Nov.14, 2020|
|9Lives® Protein Plus® With Tuna & Liver||7910021748||4 pack of cans,|
5.5 oz each
|Apr. 17, 2020 - Sept.14, 2020|
The Best if Used By information can be found on the bottom of each can.
These products were distributed by The J.M. Smucker Company to a variety of retailers nationwide.
No other 9Lives® products or products of The J.M. Smucker Company are impacted by this recall.
Cats fed diets low in thiamine for several weeks may be at risk for developing a thiamine deficiency. Thiamine is essential for cats. Symptoms of deficiency displayed by an affected cat can be gastrointestinal or neurological in nature. Early signs of thiamine deficiency may include decreased appetite, salivation, vomiting, failure to grow, and weight loss. In advanced cases, neurological signs can develop, which include ventroflexion (bending towards the floor) of the neck, mental dullness, blindness, wobbly walking, circling, falling, seizures, and sudden death. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your cat is displaying any of these symptoms. If treated promptly, thiamine deficiency is typically reversible.
Pet parents who have impacted product should stop feeding it to their cats and dispose of the product. If pet parents have questions or would like to receive a refund or coupon for replacement product, they should email the Company by completing this form or calling it at 1-888-569-6828, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM ET.
The potential for low thiamine levels was identified internally by finished product testing.
The recall is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Surtidoras Bakery Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk in Marble Muffin, Banana Muffin, and Blueberry Muffin
- Hometown Food Company Recalls Two Production LOT Codes of Pillsbury(R) Unbleached All-Purpose 5lb Flour Due to Possible Health Risk
- Fullei Fresh Recalls Organic Bean Sprouts Because of Possible Health Risk
- Sunstone Organics Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Select Kratom Products Due to Potential Contamination by Salmonella
- Asia Foods Distributor Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk Allergens in "Nova Salted Biscuit"
- Joy Gourmet Foods LLC Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Sulfites