Recall of Green Cedar Dairy Ackawi Cheese Bearing a Sell by Date of March 26, 2019 or Later
Source: FDA Food Recalls
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37PM
Routine samples of the Green Cedar Ackawi cheese collected and tested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development tested positive for the presence of Listeria monocytogenes.
The following product has been recalled:
Green Cedar Ackawi cheese in small clear plastic shrink wrapped packaging (see images below) bearing a “sell by” date of March 26, 2019 or later. The “sell by” date is on a white sticker on the back of the product.
Consumption of food contaminated with listeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a serious and sometimes fatal infection that primarily affects young children, older adults, and persons with weakened immune systems. Less commonly, persons outside these risk groups may be affected. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeriosis can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
This issue was discovered on November 9, 2018 during a routine inspection by the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development, Food & Dairy Division (MDARD) and by the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
This product was distributed at retail locations East Dearborn and Dearborn Heights Michigan. There have been no reports of adverse health impacts or reactions related to the consumption of this product to date.
Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
Media and consumers with questions regarding the recall can contact Hussam Harb, Plant Manager at Green Cedar Dairy, at (313) 584-4499 (M-F 8-4 ET).
- Del Monte Foods Announces Limited Recall of Canned Fiesta Corn Seasoned with Red & Green Peppers Due to Under Processing
- Moonstruck Chocolate Co. Issues Allergy Alert On Undeclared Hazelnuts In 4 Oz. Sea Salt Caramels Tumbled In Milk Chocolate
- Inspired Organics Issues Voluntary Recall of Organic Sunflower Butter Due to Potential Health Risk
- The J.M. Smucker Company Issues Voluntary Recall of Specific Lots of 9Lives(R) Protein Plus(R) Wet, Canned Cat Food Due to Low Levels of Thiamine (Vitamin B1)
- Fine Land Corp Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk Allergens in "Meiqili Durian Candy"
- Accra Super Market Issues Allergy Alert On Undeclared Peanuts In 'Suya Barbecue Seasoning'