Sprout Creek Farm Recalls "Margie" Cheese Due to Listeria Monocytogenes
Source: FDA Drug Recalls
Tue Nov 6, 2018 10:14PM
Sprout Creek Farm of Poughkeepsie, New York is recalling 132 wheels of "Margie" cheese, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled batch of Margie cheese, consisting of 132 wheels, was distributed to the following locations, which have all been notified of the recall and instructed to dispose of the cheese:
|Hudson Valley Harvest||750 Enterprise Dr, Kingston, NY 12401|
|Mohonk Mountain House||1000 Mountain Rest Rd, New Paltz, NY 12561|
|Olsen and Company||81 Partition St, Saugerties, NY 12477|
|Gossetts Market||1202 Old Post Rd, South Salem, NY 10590|
|Tannat Wine and Cheese||4736 Broadway, New York, NY 10040|
|Sheep and Wool Fest||Rhinebeck, Dutchess County Fair Grounds|
|Adams Fairacre Farms||765 Dutchess Turnpike, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603|
|Stinky Brooklyn||215 Smith St, Brooklyn, NY 11231|
|Ocean House Oyster Bar & Grill||49 N Riverside Ave, Croton-On-Hudson, NY 10520|
Margie cheese is a soft, white rind, cow's milk cheese. It is packaged with a green round label, wrapped in white milk paper in one pound wheels. The cheese being recalled can be identified with the lot number make date of 10-9-18 and best by dates of 12-9-18.
The recall was the result of a routine US Food and Drug Administration inspection of Sprout Creek Farm's cheese production facility. During the inspection samples were sent to a FDA Lab for testing and Listeria monocytogenes was found in the product.
Sprout Creek Farm is working with the FDA to determine the root cause of the problem.
No illnesses have been reported to date.
Any consumer with the product should dispose of it immediately.
For additional information regarding this recall, call Sister Margo Morris at Sprout Creek Farm (845) 485-8438 from 9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday - Friday.
About Sprout Creek Farm
Founded in 1982 by the Society of the Sacred Heart, Sprout Creek Farm was originally located on the campus of the Convent of the Sacred Heart in Greenwich, Connecticut. The operations moved to Dutchess County, New York, in 1990. The relocation to New York came after Sprout Creek Farm was identified as "mission-aligned" with the intent of the original farm’s owner. Encompassing 200 acres, Sprout Creek Farm is really three different entities, distinct yet dynamically intertwined. It is a working farm, raising free-ranging cows, sheep, goats, free-range turkeys, guinea fowl, chickens, and pigs. It is a market, selling internationally award-winning cheeses and farm-produced meats, as well as local Hudson Valley milk, eggs, vegetables, crafts, and gifts. And it is an educational center, offering day, weekend, and summer programs that help connect young people to the land, the seasons, and the plants and animals that co-exist in harmonious rhythm. sproutcreekfarm.org
- Mylan Institutional LLC Initiates Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Levoleucovorin Injection Due to the Presence of Particulate Matter
- Legacy Pharmaceutical Packaging, LLC Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Losartan Potassium Tablets, USP, 50mg Due to the Detection of Trace Amounts of N-Nitroso N-Methyl 4-amino butyric acid (NMBA) Impurity found in the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient
- Legacy Pharmaceutical Packaging, LLC Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Losartan Potassium Tablets, USP, 25mg, 50mg, And 100mg Due to The Detection of Trace Amounts Of N-Nitroso N-Methyl 4-Amino Butyric Acid (NMBA) Impurity Found in The Active Pharmace
- Hospira, Inc. Issues a Voluntary Nationwide Recall of 8.4% Sodium Bicarbonate Injection, USP Due to the Presence of Particulate Matter
- Surtidoras Bakery Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk in Marble Muffin, Banana Muffin, and Blueberry Muffin
- Stokes Healthcare Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Pilocarpine 0.1% Ophthalmic Solution Due to a High Level of Preservative