UBC Food Distributors Recalls Hot Curry Powder and Curry Powder due to Lead
Source: FDA Drug Recalls
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33PM
This is to inform you of a product recall involving:
HOT CURRY POWDER & CURRY POWDER, BARAKA, 7.0 oz PLASTIC JAR
UPC CODES 822514265566 AND 822514265535 RESPECTIVELY
A voluntary recall has been initiated by UBC Food Distributors Inc, due to a high level of lead found in the above named products; after testing was done by the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development. This product was purchased from an importer. The importer, along with the FDA, are now in the process of contacting the source of the product, so that corrective action can be taken on their part. Use of, or consumption of this product may elevate lead levels in the blood.
Lead is a toxic substance present in our environment in small amounts and everyone is exposed to some lead from daily actions such as inhaling dust, eating food, or drinking water. In general, the small exposure to lead within the U.S. population does not pose a significant public health concern. However, exposure to larger amounts of lead can cause lead poisoning. While lead can affect nearly every bodily system, its effects depend upon the amount and duration of lead exposure and age. Symptoms can include abdominal pain, vomiting, lethargy, irritability, weakness, behavior or mood changes, delirium, seizures, and coma. However, infants, young children and the developing fetus can be affected by chronic exposure to amounts of lead that may not result in obvious symptoms of lead poisoning. A child with lead poisoning may not look or act sick. Lead poisoning in children can cause: learning disabilities, developmental delays, and lower IQ scores.
Less than 20 cases of this product were shipped between June 15 and July 31 2018 to the following areas in the USA: Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri and Colorado. We ask that all products with the Baraka Brand and UPC CODES 822514265566 & 822514265535 be removed from shelfs immediately; and placed aside for pick up from a UBC company representative.
We ask consumers to please discontinue use of the product, and immediately return any unused portions to the outlet where it was purchased. Your assistance is appreciated and necessary to prevent, and avoid any potential illness.
If you have any questions, please call UBC Customer Care toll free at 877-846-8117, M-F between 9am and 6pm EST, or email anytime at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This recall is being made with the knowledge of the Food and Drug Administration and is being done voluntarily by UBC Food Distributors Inc and its affiliates.
- Ottogi America, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg in Products
- Prinston Pharmaceutical Inc. issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Irbesartan and Irbesartan HCTZ Tablets Due to detection of a Trace Amount of Unexpected Impurity, N- nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA) in the Products
- RXBAR Recalls Certain Varieties of Bars Due to a Potential Undeclared Peanut Allergen
- Voluntary Recall Notice of El Guapo Chile Habanero and Chile Pasilla-Ancho Pouches Due to Unlabeled Peanut Allergen
- Happy Together, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Product Due to Presence of Undeclared Sildenafil and Tadalafil
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Vecuronium Bromide for Injection Due to the Presence of Particulate Matter Identified as Glass