Seabear Company Issues a Voluntary Recall of Cold Smoked Wild Coho Salmon Lox Because of Possible Health Risk
Source: FDA Drug Recalls
Tue May 1, 2018 9:59PM
Seabear Company of Anacortes, Washington is voluntarily recalling 1,225/ 3 oz. units of Cold Smoked Wild Coho Salmon Lox, Gerard & Dominique Seafoods brand, affected lot # CSCO-17339, Pack Date 17-340, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium which can cause life-threatening illness or death. Consumers are warned not to use the product even if it does not look or smell spoiled.
Botulism, a potentially fatal form of food poisoning, can cause the following symptoms: general weakness, dizziness, double-vision and trouble with speaking or swallowing. Difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation may also be common symptoms. People experiencing these problems should seek immediate medical attention.
No illnesses have been reported to date.
The recall was initiated because the product's water phase salt testing below 3.5%. Labeling instructions state to freeze or refrigerate, once thawed they can be kept unopened in the fridge for up to 30 days. Because the water phase salt is under 3.5% the product must remain frozen until ready to consume. Keeping in the refrigerator after thawing in a reduced oxygen package has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum.
Cold Smoked Wild Coho Salmon Lox, with the affected lot # CSCO-17339, Pack Date 17-340, was distributed directly to distributors in CA, MD, and WA between 12/8/17 and 4/10/18 and it may have been further distributed and sold through retail stores at least in these states.
Cold Smoked Wild Coho Salmon Lox was packaged in a reduced oxygen packaging, net wt. 3 oz. (85g), and has the UPC 7 52047 92635 4.
Consumers are advised to keep product frozen until used and thaw under refrigeration immediately before use. If the consumer has refrigerated product, dispose of immediately even if it does not look or smell spoiled. Consumers with questions may contact the company at (800) 338-9903, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm PST.
This recall is being made with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Ottogi America, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg in Products
- Prinston Pharmaceutical Inc. issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Irbesartan and Irbesartan HCTZ Tablets Due to detection of a Trace Amount of Unexpected Impurity, N- nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA) in the Products
- RXBAR Recalls Certain Varieties of Bars Due to a Potential Undeclared Peanut Allergen
- Voluntary Recall Notice of El Guapo Chile Habanero and Chile Pasilla-Ancho Pouches Due to Unlabeled Peanut Allergen
- Happy Together, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Product Due to Presence of Undeclared Sildenafil and Tadalafil
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Vecuronium Bromide for Injection Due to the Presence of Particulate Matter Identified as Glass