Carnivore Meat Company Issues Voluntary Recall of limited batches of "Vital Essentials(R) Freeze-Dried Beef Toppers" and "Vital Essentials(R) Frozen Beef Chub Entree for Dogs" Pet Food
Source: FDA Food Recalls
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:48PM
Carnivore Meat Company of Green Bay, WI, is voluntarily recalling a limited amount of pet food because the products may have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
The following affected products were distributed in the continental USA through independent retailers and via online retailers Chewys.com and Amazon.com through direct delivery.
Affected products can be identified by comparing the following lot numbers and best by dates: “Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Beef Toppers, 6 oz. poly bag” with “Lot #13815, Best by 06/01/2019, Best by 06/04/19 or Best by 06/20/19 and UPC 033211006059” and “Vital Essentials Frozen Beef Chub Entrée for Dogs, 5 lb.” with “Lot #13816, Best by 12/27/18 and UPC 033211008817”.
No other Vital Essentials products are subject to this precautionary voluntary recall.
Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.
Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.
The recall is being issued in an abundance of caution following the FDA’s collection of a product from a single batch was tested for the presence of salmonella. There have been no reports of illness.
Consumers who have purchased the items listed above, are urged to discard them safely in a covered trash receptacle, any of the products included in this recall. You may notify your retailer for a replacement or refund. Consumers with questions may call the company at 920-370-6542.
- Ottogi America, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg in Products
- RXBAR Recalls Certain Varieties of Bars Due to a Potential Undeclared Peanut Allergen
- Voluntary Recall Notice of El Guapo Chile Habanero and Chile Pasilla-Ancho Pouches Due to Unlabeled Peanut Allergen
- Grand Strand Sandwich Company Recalls Lunch Box Sandwiches Italian Subs Lunch Box Sandwiches Ham & Swiss Croissants And Lunch Box Sandwiches Ham & Cheese Due To Possible Listeria Monocytogenes Contamination
- Hy-Vee Voluntarily Recalls Cheesecakes Made with Diamond Crystal Mix
- Shamrock Farms Issues Voluntary Recall of 2% Reduced Fat Vanilla Half Gallon Milk Due to Undeclared Almonds