Club 13 Recalls Kratom Maeng Da Red Powder and Capsules Because of Possible Health Risk
Source: FDA Food Recalls
Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:43AM
Club 13 of St. Augustine, FL is recalling 15-gram, 30-gram, 90-gram, 150-gram, and 454-gram pouches, and all bulk orders of "Maeng Da Red" kratom powder; and 5-count, 25-count, 50-count, 100-count, 120-count capsule, and all bulk capsule orders of “Maeng Da Red” kratom bottles; and 5-count, 20-count, 25-count, 40-count, 50-count capsule “Maeng Da Red XS” kratom bottles because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella , an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The recalled pouches and bottles of Kratom Maeng Da Red were distributed nationwide in retail stores and through mail orders.
The “Maeng Da Red” powder products come in 15-gram, 30-gram, 90-gram, 150-gram, and 454-gram packages marked with lot # MRMD012618 on the back of the pouch.
The “Maeng Da Red” capsule products come in 5-count, 25-count, 50-count, 100-count, 120-count capsule bottles marked with the following lot numbers on the bottom left side: MRMD013018, MRMD013118, MRMD020118, MRMD020518, MRMD022318, MRMD022718, MRMD030118, MRMD030218, and MRMD030618.
The “Maeng Da Red XS” capsule products come in 5-count, 20-count, 25-count, 40-count, 50-count capsule bottles marked with the following lots numbers on the bottom left side: KRXS020718, KRXS030618, KRXS102417, KRXS110617, and KRXS120117.
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with the lot numbers subject to this recall.
The potential for contamination was noted after testing by the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture. The department detected the presence of Salmonella in a 30g and 90g package of “Maeng Da Red”.
Production of the product has been suspended while FDA and the company continue their investigation as to the source of the problem.
Consumers who have purchased the aforementioned Maeng Da Red products are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-877-922-5783, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9:15 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern Standard Time.
- Ottogi America, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg in Products
- RXBAR Recalls Certain Varieties of Bars Due to a Potential Undeclared Peanut Allergen
- Voluntary Recall Notice of El Guapo Chile Habanero and Chile Pasilla-Ancho Pouches Due to Unlabeled Peanut Allergen
- Grand Strand Sandwich Company Recalls Lunch Box Sandwiches Italian Subs Lunch Box Sandwiches Ham & Swiss Croissants And Lunch Box Sandwiches Ham & Cheese Due To Possible Listeria Monocytogenes Contamination
- Hy-Vee Voluntarily Recalls Cheesecakes Made with Diamond Crystal Mix
- Shamrock Farms Issues Voluntary Recall of 2% Reduced Fat Vanilla Half Gallon Milk Due to Undeclared Almonds