Aspire Food Group Issues Alert on Undeclared Sulfites in Exo Bars
Source: FDA Food Recalls
Fri Apr 6, 2018 11:28AM
Aspire Food Group of Austin, TX, is recalling its 60 gram bars of EXO Blueberry Vanilla, Peanut Butter & Jelly, and Apple Cinnamon bars because they may contain undeclared sulfites. People who have a severe sensitivity to sulfites run the risk of serious or life-threatening reaction if they consume these products.
The recalled EXO bars were distributed nationwide in retail stores and through mail orders.
The product comes in a film wrapper marked with the following lots/Best By dates on the underside of the wrapper.
- Blueberry Vanilla: 26DEC2018 and 06APR2018 (UPC: 861703000069)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly: 27DEC2018 and 09APR2018 (UPC: 861703000014)
- Apple Cinnamon: 08APR2018 (UPC: 861703000014)
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
The recall was initiated after it was discovered that the apricots used in the products contain sulfur dioxide as a preservative, and the packaging did not reflect the presence of sulfites. Aspire Food Group recently acquired full rights to the Exo brand, including product recipes, from Exo, Inc on February 23, 2018. As part of our audit of Exo, Inc's recipes, our manufacturing team identified this labeling error. All warehoused products that were manufactured after February 23, 2018 will be reconditioned to declare sulfites. All recalled products manufactured prior to February 23, 2018 will be destroyed, in addition to any product returned from customers regardless of manufacture date.
Consumers who have purchased these lots of EXO bars are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 512-524-0037 during business hours (Monday-Friday, 10am-4pm Central Time).
- Ottogi America, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg in Products
- RXBAR Recalls Certain Varieties of Bars Due to a Potential Undeclared Peanut Allergen
- Voluntary Recall Notice of El Guapo Chile Habanero and Chile Pasilla-Ancho Pouches Due to Unlabeled Peanut Allergen
- Grand Strand Sandwich Company Recalls Lunch Box Sandwiches Italian Subs Lunch Box Sandwiches Ham & Swiss Croissants And Lunch Box Sandwiches Ham & Cheese Due To Possible Listeria Monocytogenes Contamination
- Hy-Vee Voluntarily Recalls Cheesecakes Made with Diamond Crystal Mix
- Shamrock Farms Issues Voluntary Recall of 2% Reduced Fat Vanilla Half Gallon Milk Due to Undeclared Almonds